Monday, March 3, 2014

Painting With Dinos!!!



Today we had a surprise "snow day".  It's Virginia Beach, so 2in of snow closes down the town.  So we had to get creative with our projects.  We decided on painting with dinosaurs!  Everything we used I already had in the house.  All of it can be replaced with anything you have laying around.  


We started with a small canvas.  About a year ago I went on a canvas binge when they where around 75% off at Michaels.  Of course I don't paint so we now have a pile of canvas and nothing to do with them.  Again you can easily just use paper or cardboard. Anything.  The dino footprint I just drew up and cut out of regular white paper from the printer.


I wanted to have the negative footprint so I sprayed the canvas with some gold fabric paint.  Again this was something I had left over from a costume that never was made.  


And then it was fun time!!  Nothing really step by step here. Just some plastic dinosaurs and tempura paints.  Any kind of paint would work.  We had a lot of fun using the different parts of the dinosaurs to make different patterns.  The brontosaurs was a fav because it has large feet and tail.  




And then it was time to CLEAN UP!  Well clean up time isn't so bad when you get to give the dinos a bath!  Used an extra toothbrush as a scrubby.  



**A little tip about painting with little guys.  We all know they like to goop the paint on by the ton.  No one in the world has the time or space to wait for all that paint to dry.  So I use a blowdryer to help it along.  Usually I use the low setting so the paint doesn't get splattered around if its on paper.  On this project it wasn't splattering, plus when I used the high heat setting the paint was drying with a cracked texture which went really well with the whole dino theme.**





1 comment:

  1. I love that you include clean up with the craft and activities you and little Boats make. :)

    ReplyDelete